The HSHC is excited to introduce our new Executive Director, Meghan Doherty.
Meghan is passionate about sexual health and comes to the clinic with a wealth of experience in non-profit work, policy, education and advocacy in Canada, Ireland and with the UN. We are thrilled to have her join our team to help provide caring, confidential and safe access to sexual reproductive healthcare and education in our community.
YOUR SEXUAL HEALTH AND WELLNESS STARTS HERE!
- Inclusive and respectful of diversity
We welcome people of every race, ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ability, and income-level at our Centre. It also means that we are non-judgmental when it comes to your personal sexual health practices. Whatever you like or dislike, do or don't do – we're just here to help you stay safe, healthy, and happy!
- Respectful of client confidentiality
What happens in our Centre, stays in our Centre. We will not share your information with anyone else – including parents, partners, teachers, etc – unless you ask us to.
(Please note: There are some exceptions to this such as our legal obligation to report known cases of child abuse to police and to report positive tests for certain sexually transmitted infections to Public Health. If you have any questions or concerns about these exceptions, please talk to one of our healthcare practitioners)
We support the legal right of women to decide whether they want to carry a pregnancy to term or to have an abortion.
We think sexuality is something to be celebrated - not censored - and that we should talk about the benefits and pleasures of sexual relationships in addition to the risks involved.
- Focused on the needs of our clients and community
We do our best to listen to what our clients and community members need in order to develop and maintain healthy sexuality; and then we do our best to meet those needs. For example, we may add a service, find or develop a resource, or plan a workshop. Your sexual health is our priority!
We make an extra effort to serve the needs of youth. We try our best to create an environment that is inviting to young people, and to treat them with kindness and respect once they are here. Youth are not required to have parental or guardian consent to access our services. Also, extra effort is made to ensure our education programs and resources are youth-positive.
- Rainbow Community-positive
We make an extra effort to serve the needs of people who self-identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, two-spirited, intersexed, queer, and questioning.
Types of Appointments:
- STI testing (swabs and urine) and treatment; birth control options counselling; birth control prescriptions; IUD insertions and removals; pregnancy tests; pregnancy options counselling; referrals for pre-natal care, adoption services, and therapeutic abortions; Pap tests; breast exams; testicular and prostate checks
- These appointments occur during open hours (please see our Hours at the top left of this page). They need to be pre-booked by calling 455-9656 Ext. 0
- Drop In (Only For):
- Emergency contraception (also known as “ECP”, “Plan B”, or "the morning-after pill”), and birth control refills (if you have a current prescription) are available during open hours (please refer to our Hours at the top left of this page)
- Anonymous HIV testing and counselling on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 8:30 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. (First Come, First Served)
- HIV Nurse:
- Anonymous blood testing and counselling for HIV
- Blood testing for hepatitis B, hepatitis C, and syphilis
- Hep A/B vaccine for members of higher-risk populations (e.g. men who have sex with men, individuals involved with IV drug use, etc.)
- These appointments need to be pre-booked by calling 455-9656 Ext. 0 OR
Drop In (First Come, First Served) Tuesdays and Thursdays 8:30 - 10:00 a.m.
- One-on-one (or with your partner) counselling with a doctor on sexual health issues, which may include (but is not limited to): sexuality and relationship issues; sexual assault/rape/trauma; bio-identical hormone treatment assessment
- These appointments need to be pre-booked by calling 455-9656 Ext. 0