WHAT IS IT?
A male condom is a soft disposable sheath. They are available in various shapes, sizes, thicknesses, colors and flavors. Most are latex, but non-latex condoms are also available in polyurethane, silicone, and lambskin.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
A condom fits over an erect penis and acts as a physical barrier preventing direct genital contact and the exchange of genital fluids, so that the sperm does not enter the uterus and fertilize an egg.
HOW EFFECTIVE IS IT?
If a male condom are used perfectly, it is 98% effective in preventing pregnancy. Based on average use, it is 85% effective.
HOW DO I USE IT?
For more information about how to use male condoms properly, please click here <p. ____>
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF USING A MALE CONDOM?
- available without a prescription
- latex condoms protect against STIs
- allows the male partner to assume some responsibility for birth control
- both partners can participate in their use
- may help the wearer avoid premature ejaculation
- must be available at the time of intercourse
- may slip or break during intercourse
- must be stored and handled properly
- persons with latex allergies cannot use latex condoms, but may be able to use non-latex condoms (Please click here <troubleshooting section> if you have a latex allergy or sensitivity)
- may reduce sensitivity for either partner
- may interfere with the maintenance of an erection
- may reduce spontaneity
- lambskin condoms do not protect against STIs